It’s that time of year when many of us are committing to New Year’s resolutions, such as losing weight or exercising more. Investors could benefit from resolutions targeting their financial health as well. For those who find making resolutions useful, here are several New Year’s wealth resolutions that may help lead to a more prosperous future:
1. I will set financial goals for 2017 and share them with someone to make me more accountable.
2. I will maximize my retirement savings.
3. I will continue to follow my investment plan because it is time in the market—and not timing the market—that matters.
4. I will be discerning about where I get my financial news and not fall prey to fake news sources or financial entertainment.
5. I will get my financial records in order and keep track of spending. When available, I will use technology securely to do so (check out this video overview of HTG’s personal financial website that helps clients see a full picture of their finances.)
6. I will be vigilant about protecting my online passwords and financial information (read this blog on Cyber Security).
7. I will review my credit report at least once during the year.
8. I will check all my retirement accounts to be sure I have designated the correct beneficiaries.
9. I will review my life and disability insurance coverage to make sure I understand what I have and to ensure enough protection for my family.
10. I will manage my emotions and resist the temptation to make hasty financial decisions.
Add these to your list of resolutions and you should end 2017 healthier (and maybe wealthier) than you began.
Just as successful athletes rely on coaches and trainers to help them achieve their goals, most investors can benefit from having a “financial coach” to remind them about their New Year’s resolutions and keep them on track to achieve their long term goals. If you need help setting your New Year’s financial resolutions, contact us for more information.
Happy New Year from all of us at HTG!